Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How to Use Alynski's Rules For Radicals and the Republican Men's Club

A close acquaintance of mine heard of a situation that occurred with the Republican Men’s Club of Brevard.  This incident happened in October and it resulted in a Democrat being elected to the Board and a Republican who was registered in Texas and can’t even vote in our County being elected as Vice President.

Over the past months certain Board Members have been using Alynski’s Rules for Radicals to use a “crisis” to further their purpose in order to discredit me and put me on the defensive so as to redirect the egregious error away from them.  As the former Secretary of the club I kept meticulous minutes and as someone who has been accused of being too much of stickler for rules I made sure that the Board new of the mistake.  Rather than correcting the error the next meeting focused on how to cover up the mistake.

Who to blame became the obsession of the President of the Club.  What disturbed me the most was my naiveté.  I believed this man, and I used that term loosely, was a friend.  I sponsored him to be a member of my church, we opened our home to him, his “significant other”, their children and one friend of each child and their dogs during the Palm Bay fires.  We “dog-sat” whenever they needed someone to watch their two dogs while they vacationed.  I guess I’m as angry at myself as hurt by their treatment.

When I made suggestions as to how to correct the Constitution, Rules and By Laws it was looked at as an attempt to change the rules in order benefit the “looser”.  Words use by my so called friend.  Since I was the “looser” on the Board I was astounded that certain Board Members were more interested in keeping this private rather than admitting the error and correcting the Rules so that this might not happen again.  I was shocked at the vehemence aimed at the Secretary and the effort to say the responsibility lies with the office of Secretary.  I felt the only honorable thing to do when attacked in such a manner was to resign.  I also feel that when the Board voted 6-1 to invalidate the election and the President didn’t feel he was bound by the vote of the Board he should also do the honorable thing and resign. I admire the two men in question. They were honest and forthright. They both voted to invalidate the election feeling they would win again.

A few days after this the deflection began.  Accusations of falsifying the minutes were spread.  Reasons that I resigned were made for me – “he’s upset because he lost”.   People, I am a Conservative and a Republican.  I ran more than once for Chair of the Brevard Republican Executive Committee, lost and remained on the Committee and worked hard for the Party. 

We are talking about a Club here.  We’re talking about a club that had potential but because of their lack of true leadership has now devolved into another social club.  We’re talking about a club that has in its leadership someone who feels that he alone can direct the future of the club. 

Of course there is a lot of revisionist history going on too.  During the election for President I was asked by no less than 4 people to run for President of the club but declined.  I nominated the current President who then nominated me for Vice-President.  During the first year I was asked to step aside so that someone that had potential as a future leader could step in and I did for the good of the Club and took on the position of Treasurer.  Shortly thereafter I was again asked to step aside from that to allow someone who wanted to be Treasurer to do so and take the position of Secretary.  So, much of the failure of the Secretary must lie with the former Secretary as I had only been the Secretary for a few months.

Here we are almost 6 months later and the attacks are beginning again.  I have been slandered, my name smeared and all so that someone with aspirations to be an elected official can try to maintain his “integrity” for the future bid for office. 
I can only say I have received notes and calls of support and being told, once again, I must be a poor judge of character to think this person had any character at all.

Thank you to all those who have faith in me, have remained true and know what honor really means.

No comments:

Post a Comment